Frequently Asked Questions

Central Coast Council is responsible for five operational cemeteries and six historic cemeteries including Jilliby and Noraville cemeteries. For information about obtaining a burial or memorial site, booking a funeral or ash interment and much more, contact our Cemeteries Bereavement Team or read our frequently asked questions.

Average: 2.6 (19 votes)

Who orders the plaques for Memorial Sites?

Central Coast Council orders all plaques. The Cemeteries Bereavement Team is available to assist families with inscriptions and personalising plaques. A plaque order form must be completed showing desired layout and wording for the plaque. A proof will then be produced and the burial licence holder/applicant will be asked to approve the proof prior to it being ordered. Plaques can take up to six weeks to be produced and delivered. Once the plaque is received, the Cemeteries Bereavement Team will advise the family and organise a time for ash interment and fixing of the plaque.

Who is a Perpetual Interment Right holder?

A Perpetual Interment Right Holder is a person/s who is the registered holder of the Interment Right. The Holder/s of the Interment Right have the sole authority to determine who can be interred in the site and to allow Council approved memorials or monuments be placed.

Who buries (inters) ashes?

Council inters all ashes in memorial gardens and memorial walls. Fees apply if families wish to be in attendance. A gravedigger is required for all ash interments in burial plots.  Families must complete the order for burial process and once approval has been granted, they need to organise a gravedigger to carry out the interment. A list of approved gravediggers can be obtained from the Cemeteries Bereavement Team.

What is an Order for Interment?

An Order for Interment is a permit approved by the Cemetery Operator to allow an interment to take place. It is required prior to any interment (bodily or ash interment) in a Central Coast Council Cemetery. An application must be completed and signed by the Interment Right Holder or authorised person and lodged with Council (along with payment of the associated fees) at least 48 hours prior to the interment.

What is a Perpetual Interment Right?

A Perpetual Interment Right is a contract with the cemetery Operator (Council) that allows interments to take place in a particular location in a cemetery. There is no entitlement to real estate. No more than 2 Interment Rights in a cemetery can be held for any individual person.

What is a memorial site?

A memorial site refers to a place (niche) in a memorial garden or memorial wall where ashes are interred.

What happens to a burial plot after a burial?

Burial plots will naturally subside (sink) after a burial. Burial plots are monitored and checked for subsidence. They will be levelled and topped up as necessary using clean fill. Heavy rain can cause immediate subsidence, whereas in dry weather it can take up to months for a gravesite to settle.

What application forms may I need to complete?

Fees apply for all applications. Current charges can also be obtained by contacting our Cemeteries Bereavement Officer on 4350 5108 or

How many people can be interred in a burial plot or memorial site?

Burial plots generally accommodate two coffin burials (one on top of the other) and four ash interments. A burial plot designated for ashes only can accommodate eight ash interments. Some burial plots may be restricted due to natural landforms or the burial depth of a previous interment.

Memorial sites differ in relation to how many interments can be accommodated. The Cemeteries Bereavement Team can provide information on all options available.

How do I select a burial plot or memorial site?

A burial licence for a plot or site can be purchased through our Cemeteries Bereavement team. The team can assist you in choosing a site to reserve or as the final resting place for your loved one.

How do I purchase a Perpetual Interment Right?

After an interment site has been selected, a Perpetual Interment Right Application from must be completed and payment made to Council. Applications are then recorded in the Cemetery Register and a Perpetual Interment Right Certificate is issued to the Holder.

How do I organise a monument?

A Monumental Works Permit must be applied for and issued prior to any monumental works being carried out in a Central Coast Council Cemetery. A fee also applies. All monumental masons require approval to conduct work in all cemeteries. All work must be in accordance with both the Australian Standard and Council specifications. For further information on how to organise a monument and a list of approved monumental masons, please see the Monumental Mason Works page.

Can I put flowers or ornaments in a cemetery?

Council has a set of guidelines for the provision of flowers and ornaments in its cemeteries. For further information please contact the Cemeteries Bereavement Team. Council provides plastic spike vases for floral tributes to be used in the memorial gardens. Placement of flowers or ornaments is not permitted on any memorial walls unless there is the option for a small tribute in a bud vase. Unauthorised items will be removed by Council on maintenance visits.

Can I have a burial on my own property?

Burials are permitted on private property under strict conditions. Permission must be obtained from Central Coast Council and NSW Health. Please contact our Duty Planner on 4325 8222 or 4350 5555 for further information.

Can a Perpetual Interment Right be transferred?

An Interment Right can form part of a personal estate and be bequeathed, if not used. Interment Rights can be transferred, after consultation with the Cemetery Operator. Transfer of the Interment Right is only operative when a Transfer of Interment Right Application is submitted with payment of the associated fee and processed by the Cemetery Operator.


Add new comment

Last updated : Tue 30 Jun 2020