Liquid trade waste

Businesses proposing to discharge liquid trade waste into a Council sewer must obtain prior approval.  Find information on fees and charges, exceptions and the application process.

What is liquid trade waste (LTW)?

LTW is a liquid waste produced by a business, commercial or industrial activity. It excludes domestic waste from a hand washbasin, shower, bath or toilet. It also excludes stormwater and unpolluted water. LTW includes liquids from:

  • industrial premises
  • business or commercial premises such as a café, hotel, motel, restaurant, butcher or supermarket
  • community/public premises such as schools, colleges, universities, hospitals and nursing homes
  • trade activities such as a mechanical workshop
  • any commercial activities carried out at a residential premises
  • saleyards and racecourses
  • septic tank waste, chemical toilet waste, waste from marine pump-out facilities and establishing sites for the discharge of pan content from mobile homes and caravans to the sewerage system.

While septic tanks, pan and ship-to-shore pump-out wastes are defined as trade waste, specific procedures need to be applied to their management as the waste is often transported from its source to the sewerage system.

Average: 2.2 (16 votes)

Liquid trade waste policy

Discharge of liquid trade waste to the sewerage system is managed by Council in accordance with the Department of Industry – Water Liquid Trade Waste Regulation Guidelines.

Liquid Trade Waste Policy

Council officers should be contacted and are available to discuss the application submission process on 4350 5515 or via email on

Applications and industry specific information and applications

Fees and charges

All LTW fees and charges applied by Council are mandated by Council’s pricing regulator IPART.

As LTW is only a component of the sewage discharged from your property please note that the fees and charges applicable to LTW are in addition to the non-residential sewerage service and usage charges applying to the property.

Guidelines for Fees, Charges and Compliance Actions

Fees and Charges


The Director – Water and Sewerage Regulation, NSW Department of Industry Water has granted consented for some commercial activities from the requirement to apply for liquid trade waste approval. The businesses identified in this category must still meet the standard requirements identified in the exemption list.

See more about Liquid Trade Waste Exemptions.

What is your responsibility as a local business or property owner?

If you are discharging LTW into the Council sewerage system, you need to complete a Liquid Trade Waste Application to obtain approval. Either the owner of the premises or the tenant who carries out an activity on the premises may apply for approval. The tenant must have the property owner’s written consent in order to apply for approval. A discharger is responsible to pre-treat liquid waste to a level acceptable for discharge to the sewer. To assist applicants, Council can provide fact sheets on the type of business and pre-treatment needed for various LTW generating activities.


Add new comment

Last updated : Thu 18 Jun 2020